Sunday, July 20, 2008

Flagship Studios takes a "hiatus".


Well, one of the games I was going to post about was Mythos. Truly one of my favorite games lately, I've been on the beta test for it about 4 or 5 months. It was a fun game, pseudo diablo style. I dug it. Today when I tried to log in though, I discovered that Mythos servers were down. Flagship studios who also made Hellgate: London has severely cut staff and shut down their operations to take a "hiatus". Which is unfortunate, because they just completely retooled Mythos and I was really getting into it. Here is a letter from Max Schaffer over at Flagship Studios:
They say it's not so much the destination as it is the journey that's important. We're really hoping that's the case around here these days. I can't really believe I'm writing a post like this, but here we are faced with the unpleasant task of taking a hiatus from this crazy project. Unlike most games, Mythos has been running with our testing community for almost its whole life. I really feel like we've all done this together. And despite this bump in the road, I think we've succeeded wildly. This is undoubtedly the best game community I've ever seen. This is the best game development team in the world, in both Seattle and San Francisco. The things we've learned here, and with you all, will be with us forever.

PC gaming is changing, and I believe we've had a sneak preview with Mythos. With any luck, this will not be a long hiatus, and Mythos will be back. But even if it's not, and even if we all move on, we've taken a lot of important steps forward. Game development is in many ways a continuum, and we all build on what came before. I know neither Travis, the great Mythos dev team, nor myself are planning on doing anything but make games into the future. So no matter what, we'll pick up where we left off and you'll be hearing from us shortly. We may not be the best business people on the planet , but we know how to make games. And once the dust settles here, that's what we hope to get right back to doing as soon as possible. So until then, aux revoir Mythos community! It's truly been a privilege to have experienced this with you.

Max Schaefer, your humble executive producer

I hope they bring back mythos eventually. It was fun, it was free, it was an mmorpg, as their tagline says.

No comments: